New Vietnamese ...
Styles
2003-09-11 14:30:54 UTC
I know that a new vietnamese restaurant in Austin is not really big news.
But I just wanted to let people know that I really enjoyed my dinner there
last night and that for the month of September they are offering 15% off
everything for their grand opening.

The restaurant is Pho Thai Soon (or Son) its located in the shopping center
at the corner of Parmer and Mopac (to the left of the H.E.B) right next to
Odaku Sushi.

The wife and I went there, I had a bowl of bün with marinated grilled shrimp
and charcoal grilled pork, she had bün with shrimp and squid. Both bowls
were heaping large, contained absolutely the freshest ingredients and were
delicious. I know that this is not really gourmet food, and that I am
hardly an expert on Vietnamese food (since the charcoal grilled bun is all I
ever get), but it was hands down the best I've had in town yet.

1) the rice noodles were plentiful and cooked just right. A lot of times in
some places the noodles are over done and fall apart. Other places they are
stuck together. These we just perfect

2) The vegetables were very fresh and crispy

3) the fish sauce on the side was mild and aromatic (you know how sometimes
fish sauce can smell too .... Well... Fishy)

4) My pork was tender and flavorful

5) My wife's squid was cook so tender. Oftentimes, squid is overcooked and
can be like chewing a piece of tire, not this, it was tender!

Anyways, thought I would share my experience. Have a great day.
meadhbh
2003-09-12 03:20:09 UTC
I had lunch their a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I had the lemongrass
chicken salad. It was delicious and enough for two meals. My husband had
the pho and said it was wonderful. I plan to go back!

Maddie
Dogger
2003-09-24 02:46:17 UTC
Post by Styles
can be like chewing a piece of tire, not this, it was tender!
Anyways, thought I would share my experience. Have a great day.
They were closed shortly for a 58 on the health score..
http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=1439652&nav=2WVoHxES
I was there like 3 days before this, and I was ok.. I had a Bun with
chicken and lemongrass and it was Ok..not bad.
Puttin' the Free back in FreeStyle
Steve Wertz
2003-09-24 05:27:36 UTC
Post by Dogger
They were closed shortly for a 58 on the health score..
http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=1439652&nav=2WVoHxES
I was there like 3 days before this, and I was ok.. I had a Bun with
chicken and lemongrass and it was Ok..not bad.
Also according to that link:

The health inspector found baking soda from Vietnam at Huang
Giang on North Lamar. There was nothing on the label to assure
that's an approved food source.

Huh? 99.99% of the products in the U.S. don't say that either.
"Baking Soda" certainly implies its for food use.

-sw
WhinySista
2003-09-24 08:07:53 UTC
Being a boba (pearl tea) afficionado, I've tried many of their boba drinks
(with 15% off, it's cheap as hell) and have found mostly all of them to be bad
(crap level bad) with the exception of the typically Vietnamese-style ones
(i.e., ice coffee or three-color bean ones). Stay away from the red bean
(nasty), avocado (only thing avocado-like about it is the color and even that
is half-assed), mango (gross), jelly (all sugar, no flavor), and Thai ice tea
(crazy bitter).

After many drink-only buying trips, finally sat down to dinner there. Verdict:
gross. Ordered lemongrass chicken bun. While the chicken part tasted fine,
the vegetables in it (lettuce, bean sprouts) were brown and wilted to the point
of sliminess. After picking the veg out (didn't want to send it back as the
place was deserted with the exception of only 1 other table at 7pm prime dinner
hour) looked and saw no cucumbers nor carrots in either the bun nor the nuoc
cham (not expecting cukes in there but certainly carrots). Asked the waiter
for some carrots, the response was, "We're out, maybe tomorrow or in two days."
Oh, should I save my food until then?

I'll come back for the ice coffee boba but prospects for it dim as the 15% off
special ends.

Steve Wertz
2003-09-12 18:14:20 UTC
Post by Styles
The restaurant is Pho Thai Soon (or Son) its located in the shopping center
at the corner of Parmer and Mopac (to the left of the H.E.B) right next to
Odaku Sushi.
This is mostly a Thai restaurant. Formerly Thai Spice, which also
served vietnamese dishes (sugarcane shrimp, ie). Apparently it's
picked up a few more vietnamese dishes.

An elder Vietnamese guy (smoking 555's) just gave me a ride home out
of the blue within my neighborhood and it's seems he's related to Twin
Dragon somehow. Who woulda thought this bald, pudgy white guy would
know so much about vietnamese food and all the restaurants in town?

I said the magic words... 'mam nem... 7 courses of beef...", etc.. my
vietnamese lasted me the 2.5 mile ride home with a few sacks of
groceries, and more conversation to spare. Thank god for Random Acts
of Kindness because it just started raining, too.

-sw
YY
2003-09-13 23:18:43 UTC
Post by Steve Wertz
Post by Styles
The restaurant is Pho Thai Soon (or Son) its located in the shopping center
at the corner of Parmer and Mopac (to the left of the H.E.B) right next to
Odaku Sushi.
Speaking of Odaku Sushi, I found their second restaurant on 183 west of I-35.
It should be certainly the first Japanese restaurant around that region.
Yuko
-sw
w***@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
2003-09-14 05:16:12 UTC
Pho Thai Son next to Odaku Sushi at Parmer and Mopac
found their second restaurant on 183 west of I-35 (first Japanese around there)
there was a Japanese mom&pop takeout place on north 183 frontage
road which didn't last. This is Red Lobster and 'Tex-Mex country
--
/"\ ASCII... ._. || Sailing for Food
\ / on Usenet /v\ || <http://tinyurl.com/n6te>
/ \ IS BLOAT !! ^^ ^^ || OPT-OUT is *UNACCEPTABLE*
Raven970
2003-09-22 19:19:00 UTC
Post by Styles
[...]
Pho Thai Son was a huge disappointment. I visited this place twice for
a fair oppinion.

The 1st visit was on it's Grand Opening. There were 6 of hungry tennis
players. I order Pho Dac Biet (Pho Special), it was the worst pho I
have ever eaten. The broth was bland, the meat had too much fat
attached. The fresh ingredients was not so fresh. I ended up
finishing half of my pho and gave up.

The 2nd visit was last week. This time only 5 hungry tennis players
shoed up. I ordered the same Pho (Pho Dac Biet). To my surprise, it
was worser than the 1st time.

We were disgusted with the food as well as the service.

As a true Vietnamese, I would not recommend this resturant to anyone.
If you are looking for a true authentic Vietnamese resturant, this is
not it.

PS. Check over your bill. My two visits had items that were added that
we did not order and billed. We had to argue with the cashier and
finally paid to get out.
cory
2003-09-23 12:53:31 UTC
Post by Raven970
Pho Thai Son was a huge disappointment. I visited this place twice for
a fair oppinion.
The 1st visit was on it's Grand Opening. There were 6 of hungry tennis
players. I order Pho Dac Biet (Pho Special), it was the worst pho I
have ever eaten. The broth was bland, the meat had too much fat
attached. The fresh ingredients was not so fresh. I ended up
finishing half of my pho and gave up.
I thought the broth was too salty.
Post by Raven970
The 2nd visit was last week. This time only 5 hungry tennis players
shoed up. I ordered the same Pho (Pho Dac Biet). To my surprise, it
was worser than the 1st time.
We were disgusted with the food as well as the service.
As a true Vietnamese, I would not recommend this resturant to anyone.
If you are looking for a true authentic Vietnamese resturant, this is
not it.
PS. Check over your bill. My two visits had items that were added that
we did not order and billed. We had to argue with the cashier and
finally paid to get out.
Interesting. When I went, which was last Monday, the guy "accidentally"
charged me an extra dollar. I dismissed it, but now I wonder if this is
a pattern.
Styles
2003-09-23 14:11:28 UTC
I can't really speak for the Pho, I never get Pho, I always get Bun, and I
am no expert as I stated originally. But the Bun was fresh, and the
noodles perfectly cooked and they veggies fresh.

Also its close to my house. So it wins my vote and I will continue to go.
Sorry you had a bad experience there.